Monday, September 14, 2009

Grace vs. Judgment

Just the other day, I was going on my way to pick up my daughter. But I was there about an hour half early. So, I stopped at the Whataburger and took my Bible out and preparing last week's sermon.
I was eating my meal, meditating and taking notes, then, a few teenage looking guys walked in with their skateboards. One particular guy was wearing a gray tank-top, pretty wet with sweat, wearing a black baseball cap, and a red bandanna around the cap. Because it is a tank top, I could see hair stinking out in his armpit. Passing by him to get a refill, man, the armpit smell was just killing me.
I yelled at him, “put a T-shirt on,” actually I did that in my thinking. Then I observed him. during my stay at the restaurant, he was in and out taking breaks from skateboarding. He asked for a cup for water and drank water, and then some iced tea.
I realized than, I was ready to make some judgment on him in my thought. Then I asked to myself, “Why do we judge other so quickly?”

We pass judgment on others based on the style of clothes, the manner of speech, and the life experiences. People tend to be judgmental toward those who are different from them, those with different background, culture, and life-style.

According to the Unchristian, Christianity has an image problem: Non-church people from age 16—29 perceive the Christians as 1) anti-homosexual (91%) 2) judgmental (87 %), and hypocritical (85%). They see that Christians judge and ostracize others who are different from them.
We love grace. Grace is so attractive to many of us. We long for it. We anticipate it. We want to experience it. We want to taste grace. There is something about grace that we are drawn to it. Grace has this magnetic power that attracts us and amazes us. Jesus who did not condemn the woman who was caught in adultery is so gracious and attractive.

No comments: