Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A few weeks ago, I went to KASE conference and had a conversation with a friend. We were talking about ministry, especially doing ministry at Korean church. Conversation was more of my venting out some painful experiences. Personally, my experience and observation about the church tells me that basically many churches are unhealthy. Church being unhealthy I mean Christians hurt and burnt by judgementalism (condemning others), legalism, religious elitism (too many modern say Pharisees), hypocricy, pretence, self-centerness (not caring the community--lack of ministry of mercy and compassion and social justice), I have far too many people experienced negativity in the church. Since that conversation, I have been thinking about my vision for the healthy church. I tend to think that the healthy church is marked by its transparency and authenticity. People need to be who they are, not pretending someone they are not. I like the concept of the "no perfect people allowed." It is creating a culture where sinners come as they are, they don't have to change anything to come to church. The Christ following community must be patiently wait and accept the people with respect and love. However, we hope that as they come and hear the gospel and attract to Gospel, they don't stay as they are, but transformation takes places over time in the environment where they are accepted and loved and challenged by the gospel itself. Church need to be a place where outrageous generosity of God practiced. A healthy church is also marked by three main ministries that Jesus had done; preaching of the good news, teaching, and healing the sick. Most churches has been at least emphasized the aspect of preaching teaching ministry. However, ministry of healing the sick, which includes feeding the hungry, visiting the prisoners, setting free the oppressed and bringing social justice on earth.

No comments: