Monday, August 31, 2009

Student Leadership

I love being at our college group leadership retreat. We had leadership retreat in the past three years. Every year, it gets better. A few things about the leadership meeting is that students open their eyes and see something beyond what they are used to see. I believe they see the potential they can be and grasp the vision that they can invest their energy and time.

In the first year of our leadership retreat, which was not used to them, I mainly challenged them with what is expected from leaders. Leaders must learn and grow in order to lead others. I believe in old saying, "if you stop growing today, you stop teaching (leading) tomorrow." Whether a leader like it or not, leaders are expected to lead. For leaders, in fact much are expected and demanded, in the aspects of spirituality, conduct, and lifestyle.

In the second year, I challenged our student leader to face the real issues in ministry. We had hours and hours of discussion talking about the issues of our ministry.

In this year, one of my main focus was to provide them perspectives. The perspectives of the leaders. At one conference I learned something so crucial about leadership perspective. At leadership conferences, a few main talks are always on the significance of the character of leader and on the leadership skills. One crucial perspective of leader is confident understanding of who I am, what I am serving, and where I am I going.

Coming back and engaging in ministry after the leadership retreat, I can see and feel the the energy and passion our student leaders bring into the ministry. I am so grateful form them. Now I hope to see in our ministry seasoned maturity of our leaders that lays strong foundation. My prayer is that our leaders raise the bars of maturity, expectancy, and resilience.

No comments: